Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I'm Busy

I'm busy. Really pretty busy. But I hate those people on Facebook who are always posting about how busy they are:

[at 6:30am] "Working out at the gym. It should be illegal for anyone to look THIS good!"

[at 7:43am] "On my way to work, stopping for Starbucks and a morning meeting... I'll be sure to roll my eyes at anyone in line who looks like they're taking their sweet ass time cuz if they are they must not be busy and important like I am."

[at 9:08am] "It's time to make some sales calls. Channeling my inner douchebag."

[at 10:52am] "Now I'm off to give a presentation at a client! Uptight, boring suit - check. Pretentious brand name brief case - check. Phony, upbeat, shallow personalty - check. Creepy smile that makes children cry - check."

[at 12:01pm] "Off to lunch at that new restaurant owned by that hot chef on Food Network."

[at 12:04pm] "Gotta cancel lunch, just got a MAJORLY important call. Things are about to get out of control. I. AM. SO. COOL."

[at 6:39pm] "Crazy day man. Off to a dinner to launch my idea for crotchless jeans to Levis. I'm an innovator."

[at 10:22pm] "Picked up a piece of litter on my way home from my super awesome busy day. I like to give back to the community. Besides, I threw that Panera cup there DAYS ago and it hasn't moved since. WTF is up with that? Don't homeless people pick this stuff up for extra cash from the city? Whatever dude. Tomorrow I am SO BUSY!"

It's as if these people think they will instantly vanish from the face of the earth if they aren't always telling everyone how busy they are. And it's not exactly a stretch to say that this makes them feel more important. Doesn't take a psych Ph.D. to figure that out.

I don't want to be one of those people. But really, I'm busy. I hate telling people, "Well, I'm doing this and working on this and starting this and finishing this..." Part of me doesn't want to be held accountable in case I decide to drop one of those things or if one isn't successful. Another part of me feels, "Who gives a shit?" But I think my friends probably do..... I guess??? I've always had trouble gaging how important I am or am not to other people. It's safer to just assume no one cares and not let myself be vulnerable.

So, for those of you who care... I'm busy. Doing what, you ask? Well, I started school. I got accepted to Chapman University's master of arts in education program. My focus is educational leadership and administration. It will be helpful for me in order to advance my career in the university setting. It could also be helpful if I want to work in other school settings. I'm thinking I might look back and thank myself for doing this once I have school-age children. Also, because I work at Chapman, the degree is pretty much free. Can't beat that with a stick!

I'm taking 2 classes for the MA on Wednesday nights, back to back. But I'm also taking a photography class with Andrew on Monday nights at Goldenwest community college around the corner from my house. It's a digital photo class so teaches us photo basics (I need a brush up, it's been years) as well as how to operate my awesome new camera and how to use Photoshop. I'm loving it so far and so is Andrew. Gonna get some great photos of Europe for our honeymoon!

I'm also really busy at work. Things have been rearranged and I have been given more responsibility. It's good but there's just lots to do, plain and simple.

Tonight we signed a contract to put in all new ceramic tile floors in our condo. We're also redoing the kitchen and bathroom. New cabinets in both. New granite counter tops in both. Tearing out old lighting in the kitchen to put in recessed lighting. Cutting a hole in the wall in the kitchen to open up the living space. I think that's it. Lots of stuff to pick out. People in my home. Busy. But again, fun & a positive experience so far.

Wedding planning... yes, I'm still working on it. We're going for 10/10/10 for those of you who haven't heard yet. I picked the place and have made choices on what packages & events I want. Just need to get the quote from them and sign the contract. It's on my to-do list. So is honeymoon planning. And I'm further along with that! = )

Changing some habits. Trying to get to sleep earlier (I failed tonight). Also trying to eat healthier and exercise more (not doing so hot at that). Trying to quit procrastinating so much too. Taking more of a head-on approach. No, not the headache reliever you apply directly to your forehead. Trying to be more assertive with a few things that have eluded me. Trying to shape a few things & relationships in my life that have caused me stress.

I'm also still just trying to live my life and do the things I enjoy... reading Jennifer Weiner and Jodi Picoult books, going to the movies, going to the dog beach, seeing friends, seeing family, playing Guitar Hero, sewing, conjuring up social commentary and political soapbox topics, etc.

I'm trying to do some more sewing for profit. I think I might like it. It's a scary endeavor though. You're really putting yourself out there when you offer something you created with your own two hands.

Oh, and I am doing editing work too for one of the professors I work with. He has a project every other month or so. It's nice extra income. I'm working on a book of his right now. I'm going to solicit my services to some other professors as well. I want more money.

Speaking of money, I'm gathering up anything and everything to sell on ebay for my wedding & honeymoon fund. I'm doing pretty dang good so far. Ebay is easy but still takes a little hunk of my time every month.

Lastly.... I'm writing a book. It sounds silly for me to actually state that intention. Who the hell am I? I'm no one. I can't write a book. Crazy. Several of my friends have been SO (EXTREMELY) kind as to suggest that I should. I don't know how serious they are about it but I have thought about it for a few years and now I just have more and more to add. The problem is, I'm not willing to talk about some of the stuff I want to... should... need to... will... put in the book. I think I'm just gonna start writing and see what happens. Can't hurt, right?

So, just so all interested parties know.... I'm busy and this is what I am up to. Not complaining or trying to seem AWESOME. It's all good stuff and I'm excited about it. Life's too short to not just go for it. Besides, I have all of the opportunity in the world in front of me. I just need to reach out and grab it. Or maybe tickle it. Or smack it on the ass. Whatever. I would be an ignorant fool not to appreciate it and wrap myself up in it's potential.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I am so proud of you and all the fab stuff you have goin on right now!
    Remodeling: LOVE IT!

    Sewing: always have loved your stuff...

    Writing: Good move and it's about time (PS if there is anything about me in that thing I better get a share of the profit - my deep dark secrets are for sale at the right price, lol)

    School: Hurray! I think that suits you and it IS the right price!

    Wedding: Where is this mysterious place? I need deets ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm bursting at the seams reading about all the wonderful things you have going on. From my point of view, it is the result of all the hard work you have been doing examining your life and working for what you really want coming back to you - and you deserve every good feeling, every compliment and every red cent that comes your way. I know I've been distant - you reminded me of myself when you were talking about it being easier to assume no one cares than be vulnerable - but I think of you every day, I believe in you as much as I ever have and more, and maybe most simply, I love you. I hope you feel proud of yourself. You should.

    Love from me & the boys too... Miles asked where his "Auntie Stina" was at his birthday party, and I almost died. :)

    ReplyDelete